Why Join PMA
- PMA is your voice for change and recognition with the City of Mississauga. We now have Pickleball lines painted on tennis courts at 4 public locations and each location has 4 courts. All courts have adjustable tennis net straps to lower the centre to 34 inches. Three new locations will be added in 2019. We’re diligently working with the City for outdoor Pickleball ONLY courts and new / improved indoor facilities. On December 19th, PMA met with City staff including Mayor Crombie to discuss our growing needs. Our presentation was well received, stay tuned for developments!
- Given PMA’s status with the City, we have access to facilities at reduced rates.
- PMA negotiated Pickleball lines on 4 tennis courts at Sheridan Tennis Club. At Erin Mills Soccer Club (private facility), we play on Saturday mornings – sponsored by ML Pro Sports.
- PMA demonstrated Pickleball to the Peel School Board (25 teachers) and they continue to encourage their schools to add Pickleball to their curriculum. As of December 2018, over 50% of schools at both school boards have embraced Pickleball.
- In September 2017, we hosted our first annual Fun Day tournament at Mississauga Valley CC and did it again on September 8, 2018. We’re already booked for September 2019. This tournament is free to PMA members and one guest.
- In June 2017, we hosted the District 20 Senior 55+ games and again on May 31, 2018 at Mississauga Valley CC. We plan to host them again in 2019.
- PMA has over 250 members and our goal is to reach 400+. Our voice would carry more bargaining power with the City. At our AGM, we offer a free lunch or dinner depending on the generosity of our sponsors.
- PMA with assistance from the Ambassador for Mississauga from Pickleball Association of Ontario provide coaching to introduce beginners to this great game at South Common community centre. Coaching allows beginners to improve their skills so they can more easily assimilate into other community centres with more experienced players. We now have three scheduled times for coaching beginners, check out our website under Where to Play in Mississauga.
- We liaise with Pickleball Association of Ontario and Pickleball Canada to keep you informed of important changes and/or tournaments.
- From mid-June to July 31, 2018 and in partnership with the City, PMA managed and hosted lessons for beginners for the first hour and casual or more competitive play for two more hours at the Hershey, now Paramount Centre. PMA hosted 20 free sessions over seven weeks. The program was an outstanding success as attested by the 1,400+ who attended!
PMA – Second Annual Fun Day and Tournament On September 8th, 2018, PMA hosted the event from 10 am to 4 pm at Mississauga Valley Community Centre. Forty teams registered for the tournament and others dropped in for recreational play. We plan to host another event next year and it’s free for PMA members.
Hershey / Paramount Centre – mid-June to the end of July 2018 Free indoor play for beginners and intermediate were welcomed on: Tuesdays from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, Thursdays from 9:00 am to 12 noon and Sundays from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Paddles were made available for beginners free of charge and balls were supplied. The event was sponsored by the City of Mississauga and hosted / managed by PMA. The first hour of each session focused on providing free lessons by a qualified instructor. During the last few days, fun tournaments were organized for beginners who took lessons.
District 20 – Mississauga Seniors’ 55+ Games On May 31st, 2018, PMA hosted the tournament at Mississauga Valley Community Centre. Gold medal winners qualified to compete at the Provincial OSGA games held in Mississauga.
Orchard Heights Tennis Association
In June 2018, Orchard Heights Tennis Association started to offer Pickleball on their outdoor tennis courts with portable nets using one tennis court for two Pickleball courts. For more details, please contact Danny at Higashi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual General Meeting Our AGM was held on November 29, 2017 at AMICA at City Centre located at 380 Princess Royal Drive in Mississauga. Lunch was served and the AGM commenced at 2:00 pm. Copies of the minutes are available upon request.
PMA – Fun Day and Tournament This first ever event was hosted by PMA on September 9th, 2017 from 10 am to 4 pm at Mississauga Valley Community Centre. 78 people registered for the fun tournament. PMA rented the same facilities for our 2nd Fun Day Tournament on September 8th, 2018.
District 20 Mississauga Seniors’ 55+ Games Event was hosted by PMA on Tuesday, June 13th, 2017 at Mississauga Valley Community Centre. Gold medal winners qualify to compete at the regional or Provincial level, depending on cycle.
Sheridan Tennis Club
For the third year, we resumed playing outdoor Pickleball in late April, check out their web-site www.sheridantennis.ca
for more details. STC operates until the end of October or early November, weather permitting. STC has windscreens and LED lighting for evening play until 11pm. All four courts have professionally painted Pickleball lines. You can register and pay online.
Mississauga Valley Community Centre In August 2017, the City added Pickleball lines on the other two of the four tennis courts. All four tennis courts now have Pickleball lines. They also added tennis straps allowing players to adjust the centre of the net by two inches. MVCC is a drop-in public court facility and designated times (2 hour periods) were made available for PMA members and their guests.
South Common Community Centre In January 2018, PMA negotiated a new drop-in time on Wednesdays for 90 minutes beginning at 1:15 pm, ending at 2:45 pm. This drop-in time is devoted to introducing beginners to the game, which allows them to get familiar with Pickleball rules and improve their skills before playing at other community centre where play is more competitive. PMA truly appreciates the help of volunteers who introduce players to the game.
Frank McKechnie Community Centre Started a drop-in program on March 28th, 2017; play time is Tuesdays from 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm on two courts.